Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I am a HUGE (well, luckily not literally) fan of blonde brownies. So I've been testing/tweaking different recipes for a while. I've finally come up with a recipe that tastes just like I think they should! These are definitely chewy (almost underbaked) with a brown sugar flavor to them.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt margarine in a glass mixing bowl, in the microwave. ("Zap" on LOW power until it looks melted).
- Stir in brown sugar; add vanilla; add eggs.
- Stir in flour and baking powder; stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread/pour batter into a 9 x 13" baking pan.
- Bake 19 minutes. (Until toothpick inserted 2" from edge comes out clean)Blondies will firm as they cool.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Sometimes I substitute the 3/4 cup chocolate chips for 1/2 cup butterscotch chips. I think that too much of the butterscotch flavor can be overpowering.
- My second idea is a little more unconventional as far as blondies go. Omit the chocolate chips, stir in some cinnamon, allspice and ginger.
The first time I tried this recipe, the blondies turned out gooey and delicious, but didn't rise at all and came out flat and very difficult to remove from the pan. Almost had to use a spoon to eat them, although I admit that they were still pretty tasty! It occurred to me that every recipe I've ever used that calls for baking powder also needs a small amount of salt. So the second time, I added 1/4 tsp. of salt, and also used softened instead of melted margarine, creaming it together with the sugar before proceeding. This second batch rose just enough, and they were still gooey and delicious. Another substitution I made was using peanut butter chips instead of chocolate. Thanks for the recipe--I will definitely keep this one on hand!
These are very rich, gooey, divinely decadent blondies. I, too, added a pinch of salt, and I used Heath bits in place of the mini chips and they turned out exactly as I like them! Very easy and very good.
YUMMMMMM -- but too sweet. Next time I make these, I will cut the brown sugar to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 cups and see how that works. I added Valentine M&Ms instead of the chocolate chips. Nice gooey texture.