Recipe by ccferne
From the Santa Monica Mirror. You can substitute butter-flavored cooking spray for the butter, and vary the toppings with whatever you like: spinach, broccoli, cheddar, red pepper flakes, etc. Children like to help.
Top Review by stealthcook
Great appetizer! Didn't have fresh tomatoes- canned went well. I added a bit of feta cheese on top and chopped beet greens pre steamed (had to figure out what to do with those guys).
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, defrosted
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2⁄3 cup olive, pitted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 T fresh)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and brush with melted butter or coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Layer all 8 sheets of filo, alternating with butter or spray. (Follow package instructions about keeping unused sheets under a damp towel.).
- Divide cheese into small mounds (about 1 T each), evenly spaced in rows across pastry. Aim for a 4x5 grid.
- Top each mound of cheese with an olive and half a cherry tomato.
- Sprinkle oregano, salt & pepper over top.
- Bake 7-10 minutes, until pastry is puffed and cheese is melted.
- Cut into squares with a pizza cutter and serve immediately.