Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I always get requests for this recipe. It comes from the book The Pleasure of Your Processor, with a few minor changes. Really delicious.
- Place half the filo dough in a pan.
- Pour about 1/4 cup margarine on top.
- Filling: Saute onions in melted butter until golden (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Cook spinach according to package directions.
- Drain well.
- Squeeze out all moisture from spinach.
- Process spinach until finely chopped, about 8 to 10 seconds.
- Add onions and remaining ingredients and process just until mixed.
- (Add second egg only if mixture seems dry).
- Pour filling over first half of filo dough and cover with remaining filo dough.
- Pour remaining butter on top of filo dough (add more if necessary), and then cut in squares so that, while cooking the butter will penetrate in between the layers of dough.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes, until top is golden brown.
We enjoyed liked this recipe. I heated it up the next day for lunch and it was just as good the next day. You could also forget the phyllo dough and half the butter for a great side dish. There was no mention of the pan size and so I used a cookie sheet.