1/4 Photos of Filling for Dosa Pancake
Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
This stuffing is used for filling the dosa but can be eaten as a vegetable accompaniment to any Indian meal. NOTE: You should make the first dosa or pancake as a test pancake only, with a smaller amount of batter. It usually sticks to the pan a little and curls. After this, the pan is uniformly covered by a film of oil and pancakes cook better. Yield and times are estimated since I haven't made these before.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 kg potato
- 200 g onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 -3 green chilies, chopped (adjust to taste)
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 1/2-1 cup frozen peas or 1/2-1 cup fresh shelled peas
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2-1 cup water
For tarka or tempering
- 1Boil potatoes in their skin in a pressure cooker for 3-4 pressures or in a pan of boiling water until tender. You can microwave them in a sandwich bag, with 2-3 tbs. water, for 6-8 minutes. You must leave a hole for the steam to escape, otherwise, the bag may ‘splode. ;)
- 2Allow to cool, peel and break roughly into small pieces. Keep aside.
- 3Tempering & making the filling:
- 4Heat oil in a wok.
- 5Add mustard seeds, asafoetida powder, chana and urad dal, and let the seeds splutter. Keep the lid on to avoid seeds jumping all over your kitchen.
- 6When dals begin to turn brown, add curry leaves and broken red chillies and stir.
- 7Add onions, green chillies, ginger and fry for a couple of minutes.
- 8Add salt, turmeric and chilli powder and water. Simmer with the lid closed, until onions are well cooked.
- 9Add potatoes (and peas if used) and cook until it is all mixed well and water is absorbed. the potatoes should have a slightly mashed look.
- 10Add coriander leaves and mix.
- 11Serve alongside a Dosa or use as a filling for the dosa.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filling for Dosa Pancake
Serving Size: 1 (568 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.9
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 85.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black gram dal
bengal gram dal