Recipe by HisPixie
From my 1973 Good Housekeeping Cook Book. I haven't made this yet; plan on doing so tonight.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 8 sole fillets (about 2 lbs)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 TBL butter (or margarine), salt, seasoned salt and pepper; use to brush fillets on both sides. Roll up each fillet from a narrow edge and place, seam side down, in a 9"x9" baking pan. Pour 1/2 cup milk over fillets and bake 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in same saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter and stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in remaining 3/4 cup milk and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened. Reduce heat and stir in cheese until melted; stir in sherry.
- When fish is done, remove from oven and preheat broiler. Pour pan liquid off, reserving 1/4 cup; stir into cheese sauce. (If not using sherry, use 3 TBL more of pan liquid.) Pour sauce over fish; sprinkle with paprika. Broil about 1 minute or until sauce is slightly golden.
- *You may also use 16 ounces of frozen sole fillets, thawed. Arrange fillets in 12" x 8" baking pan (do not roll); proceed as above.