Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is a dish that is elegant tastes great and guests would think it must have taken you hours to prepare, when in reality it is very simple and hardly any effort, with the end result tasting great.
- olive oil
- 800 g beef, eye fillet (kept as a whole not cut into individual steaks)
Red Currant Sauce
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200 g sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons green peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef stock powder (I use quite a dense stock so adjust for what you use and personal taste)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons port wine
- 25 g butter, extra
- Tie beef several times, at different intervals with kitchen string so it maintains shape during cooking.
- Heat oil in a pan add beef, cook over medium high heat until well browned all over.
- Remove and transfer to oven dish, bake uncovered in moderately hot oven (190-200°C approx) for 20 minutes for medium rare or until desired doneness.
- Red Currant Sauce.
- Heat butter in pan add onion and garlic, cook a couple of minutes, add mushrooms and cook until onions and mushrooms are soft.
- Add peppercorns and wine, simmer uncovered, 2-3 minutes.
- Add jelly, stock powder and port stir until jelly has dissolved, simmer for a further 4 Min's or until mixture has thickened slightly.
- Whisk in extra butter over a low heat.
- I serve mine with parsnip mash in pastry shells with salad and berry dressing.