Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from Alton Brown.
- 1 (19 ounce) package firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- canola oil (for frying)
- Slice the tofu into four even slices.
- Wrap each slice in a paper towel and place on a cookie sheet. Top with another cookie sheet and a 28 oz can of tomatoes (or similar weight). Let sit for 1 hour.
- Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Marinate tofu sauce in this, 15 minutes per side.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Drain tofu slices on paper towels. Dredge in flour, then coat the slices with a thin coat of beaten egg.
- Gently slide the slices into the hot oil, cook for 2 minutes, carefully turn the slices over and cook another 2 minutes. Gently move to serving plate.
This was such an easy, quick meal. I found the flavour to be lacking. Next time I will either add more seasoning to the marinade or marinate it longer. I served each fillet on a bun with lettuce, cheese and tartar sauce. Our side dish was curry yam fries.