Recipe by kiwidutch
Adapted from Dine around the World Cookbook, this recipe features in the Portuguese section and looks interesting. Posted for the ZWT REGION: Portugal.
Top Review by RonaNZ
We REALLY loved this. I felt quite decadent having such a delicious meal and no guests. Definitely a dinner party quality dish. I served it with baked kumara chips and sauteed chokos for a very Kiwi version of a Portuguese dish!
- 600 g pork fillets (1 1/4 lb)
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 60 g lard (4 tablespoons)
- 1 1⁄2 kg mussels (3 1/4 lb)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 5 small tomatoes (diced)
- 1 red pepper (de-seeded and chopped)
- 1⁄4 liter white wine (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven at 220°C (425°F).
- Brush pork with salt, pepper and the minced garlic. Heat the lard and add the pork fillet and cook for 40 minutes.
- Wash the mussels well. Heat olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onions until golden. Add the tomatoes and pepper, stirring well and cooking until the tomatoes are well cooked and soft.
- Add the wine to the tomato mixture and and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the mussels and cook for another 10 minutes, covered.
- Once the mussels are open taken them out and remove them from the shells, reserving the sauce in which they were cooked. Add flour to the sauce and stir on low heat to thicken. Add parsley and basil and extra salt to taste.
- Take cooked fillet and cut into slices, top the slices with mussels and sauce and cook in the oven at 240°C (475°F) for a further 10 minutes.
- Delicious served hot with bread.