- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 1 lb cod fish fillet (or 4 individual steaks of cod, scrod, or halibut)
- 4 slices fresh lemon, peel and pith removed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Melt the butter in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half the onion in an ovenproof baking dish just large enough to comfortably hold the fish.
- Sprinkle half the parsley and chives over the onion. Arrange the fish fillets or steaks over the onion and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover with the remaining onion, parsley, chives, the lemon slices, bay leaf, and thyme. Pour in the wine and bake until the fish is just done, about 20 minutes.