Recipe by Sharon123
This recipe came from Gourmet Magazine and was shown on Sara's Secrets. All I can say is WoW!
Top Review by chia
this is excellents sharon. the spice rub is just a perfect blend and really wakes up the flavor of the steak. i used 1" steaks that the butcher cut for me but cooked them the same way, very very tasty. sauce was the finale, very good
Creamy Sesame dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Kraft is good)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Asian Spice rub
- 2 tablespoons szechwan pepper (you can use black if you need to)
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 -5 lbs beef tenderloin, trimmed and tied
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- snipped fresh chives, for garnish
- tarragon, sprigs for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- To make the dressing: Put mayonnaise, sour cream, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and rice vinegar in a blender or food processor mix until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the blender or work bowl with a rubber spatula, mix for another 15 seconds.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the cilantro and mix well with whisk.
- Set aside.
- Make the spice rub: Toast peppercorns and anise seeds in a dry large heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Finely grind toasted mixture in an electric coffee/spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle (I use my mini food processor).
- Sift mixture through a small strainer into a bowl and stir in salt, five-spice powder, and ginger.
- Halve beef crosswise and sprinkle rub all over both pieces, pressing so it will coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet that can be put in oven over moderately high heat until just smoking, then brown 1 piece of beef on all sides, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a large plate.
- Wipe skillet clean with paper towels and brown remaining beef in same manner.
- Arrange beef pieces, 2 inches apart, in the skillet.
- Roast in middle of oven 25 to 35 minutes.
- Let beef stand in pan on a rack for 25 minutes.
- Beef will continue to cook as it stands.
- Throw away string and slice beef.
- Serve with dressing at room temperature.