1 hr 10 mins
This recipe came from Gourmet Magazine and was shown on Sara's Secrets. All I can say is WoW!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Creamy Sesame dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Kraft is good)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Asian Spice rub
- 2 tablespoons szechwan pepper (you can use black if you need to)
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 -5 lbs beef tenderloin, trimmed and tied
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- snipped fresh chives, for garnish
- tarragon, sprigs for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2To make the dressing: Put mayonnaise, sour cream, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and rice vinegar in a blender or food processor mix until combined.
- 3Scrape down the sides of the blender or work bowl with a rubber spatula, mix for another 15 seconds.
- 4Transfer to a bowl, add the cilantro and mix well with whisk.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Make the spice rub: Toast peppercorns and anise seeds in a dry large heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 7Finely grind toasted mixture in an electric coffee/spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle (I use my mini food processor).
- 8Sift mixture through a small strainer into a bowl and stir in salt, five-spice powder, and ginger.
- 9Halve beef crosswise and sprinkle rub all over both pieces, pressing so it will coat.
- 10Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet that can be put in oven over moderately high heat until just smoking, then brown 1 piece of beef on all sides, about 1 minute.
- 11Transfer to a large plate.
- 12Wipe skillet clean with paper towels and brown remaining beef in same manner.
- 13Arrange beef pieces, 2 inches apart, in the skillet.
- 14Roast in middle of oven 25 to 35 minutes.
- 15Let beef stand in pan on a rack for 25 minutes.
- 16Beef will continue to cook as it stands.
- 17Throw away string and slice beef.
- 18Serve with dressing at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fillet of Beef with Asian Spice Rub and Creamy Sesame Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.1
- Calories from Fat 490
- Total Fat 54.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 167.1 mg
- Sodium 1211.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 46.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder