Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe provides a special dinner with a dramatic presentation your guests will remember for a long time! Recipe by James Beard, with a few of my own "twists."
- 5 -6 lbs filet of beef
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup cognac, warmed
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub the fillet well with olive oil and freshly ground pepper.
- Place on a ell-oiled rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast at 400 degrees about 35 minutes or until it has achieved an internal temperature of 125 degrees.
- Brush with oil occasionally.
- When done, salt the roast and let it rest 10 minutes.
- Invite your guests to the kitchen "for the show.".
- Pour the warm Cognac over the roast and ignite with a long handled match.
- Add a little butter, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with the pan juices.
- Broiled tomatoes and watercress make nice accompaniments.
- Serve with a good Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. Don't skimp -- this recipe deserves a quality wine!