Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
How to cook a whole or large piece of beef tenderloin. Note from UnknownChef86: This is a recipe I adopted in 2006.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place the beef on a sheet pan and pat the outside dry with a paper towel.
- Spread the butter on with your hands.
- Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium-rare.
- Remove the beef from the oven, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Remove the strings and slice the fillet thickly.
- Note: Be sure your oven is very clean or the high temperature will cause it to smoke.
perfect! this is the easiest way to cook a rare tenderloin. i followed the recipe exactly and roasted our 5 pound tenderloin for 25 minutes and let it rest for 20 minutes. it was cooked to perfection...pink and juicy. thank you for the recipe.
Cool - this worked perfectly! We usually cook tenderloins on the grill outside, but a rainy cold night forced me to try this. Not sure I'll ever fire up the grill again for a whole tenderloin! This takes the guesswork out of doneness - it just comes out perfectly cooked and tender and tasty - what more is there to say?
This is definitely a Barefoot Contessa recipe!!! I used this recipe as the star dish for my Valentine's menu and it was terrific. I bought 2.5 pd filet of beef, lathered it with butter and used plenty of salt and pepper to cover all surfaces. I cooked it exactly to 22 minutes and covered as directed. The filet was expensive, but well worth it. Quick, easy and great tasting. I served it with Mean Chef's Mushroom Gravy, Barefoot Contessa's Garlic Roasted Potatoes and Sharlene W's Spinach, Apple and Pecan Salad. The whole menu, including the beef was awesome!!!!