Recipe by UnknownChef86
How to cook a whole or large piece of beef tenderloin. Note from UnknownChef86: This is a recipe I adopted in 2006.
Top Review by taylortwo
perfect! this is the easiest way to cook a rare tenderloin. i followed the recipe exactly and roasted our 5 pound tenderloin for 25 minutes and let it rest for 20 minutes. it was cooked to perfection...pink and juicy. thank you for the recipe.
- 4 lbs filet of beef, trimmed and tied
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place the beef on a sheet pan and pat the outside dry with a paper towel.
- Spread the butter on with your hands.
- Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium-rare.
- Remove the beef from the oven, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Remove the strings and slice the fillet thickly.
- Note: Be sure your oven is very clean or the high temperature will cause it to smoke.