Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Based on a Martha Stewart Recipe, but I altered it (because I think this tastes better! haha) Bite size fresh strawberries filled with a sweet cream cheese mixture. I took these to a party and they were gone in minutes with tons of complements! :)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract (could also use vanilla extract)
- 1 quart size package of whole fresh strawberries
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- chocolate shavings, for decoration
- Use a melon baller to scoop out the green leafy top of the strawberries, and use a paring knife to cut off the bottoms of the strawberries so that they stand up.
- Sprinkle brown sugar into the hollowed out strawberries, and allow it to sit.
- Mix together the cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, and almond extract in a bowl. Vary the amount of sugar and almond extract to taste.
- Cut the corner off a ziplock bag, insert a piping tip, and fill with the cream cheese. Pipe the mixture into the strawberries. (or scoop it in there if you don't have decorating tips).
- If desired, sprinkle chocolate shavings on top.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Made these for our 4th of July bar b q and they are wonderful. Nice to have a small bite of dessert after so much food and drink. Everyone enjoyed these and the plate was the first thing to empty. So easy to prepare - though I found just using a small paring knife to cut out the centers easier to do than the melon baller. I also couldn't stand the thought of all the bottoms going to waste so matched them and added back to the cream cheese mix and loved the extra taste of strawberry it added. A bit of advise though - if piping the cream mix be sure and mash the added strawberry fine as it will stick in the tip if you don't.
Even better on graham crackers, but good as is too. For the graham cracker ones I split the strawberries in half and brown sugared them, then laid them on the cream cheese spread graham crackers.
Perfect for Valentine's Day, I served these for dessert! I think next time I may sprinkle the cheesecake filling with some graham crackers, for a truly 'cheesecake-y' taste. Mine made approx. 15 strawberries, but I may have been overly generous with the filling. But, they were wonderful, as is...Made for the Best of 2010 tag game. Thanks so much for sharing, miraclelove77.