Recipe by love4culinary
This cake is heavenly. It is definitely one of those cakes that gets loads of ooo's and ahh's :-) I hope you enjoy it
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups golden superfine sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄3 cup lemon curd, best quality
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- powdered sugar, to decorate
- 1⁄2 cup lemon curd, best quality
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- First take out 2 nine-inch springform pans and lightly grease and flour.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl cream your butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until it becomes a thick creamy and fluffy mixture.
- Add the poppy seeds, lemon rind, curd and egg yolks and beat well.
- Then add your milk, and mix well.
- Gently fold in the flour until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites using your electric mixture until they form soft peaks.
- Carefully fold the whites into the batter just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between your two springform pans.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until toothpick comes clean from the center of your cake.
- The cake should be beautifully golden!
- Allow the cakes to cool for about 5 minutes in the pans, and then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
- Next you want to fill your cake.
- Spread the top of one cake with the lemon curd and then spoon the whipped thick cream on top of the curd.
- Place your other cake on top of this mixture very gently, and then press down very gently just to seal.
- Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar right before serving.