Top Review by evelyn/athens
This was lunch today and the kids were pleased by the novelty of this dish. I would say the evaporated milk is essential to provide a creamier flavour to the mac part of the dish - so don't be tempted to use regular milk. My only little 'tweak' was in the topping where I also added some grated mozzarella. Very much enjoyed.
- 1 1⁄2 cups macaroni, Broken
- 3⁄4 cup milk, Evaporated
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, Md, Grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs frankfurters, Deli-Style
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water until tender.
- Drain and rinse in hot water.
- Combine the milk, mustard, salt, pepper and 2 cups of the cheddar cheese in the top of a double boiler and cook until the cheddar is melted and sauce is smooth, stirring frequently.
- Add the macaroni and blend well.
- Split the frankfurters lengthwise, without separating them, and fill with the macaroni mixture.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar and bake in a hot oven (400 degrees F.) for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.