This simple custard is great with sliced strawberries, bananas or other sliced fruit for a simple summer desert. The custard recipe was originally printed in Bon Appetit (May 1984) for 2 portions, but is very easy to double or adjust for number of portions you need. Refrigeration time is at least four hours.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg in top of double boiler.
- Gradually whisk in milk, half and half, yolks and vanilla until smooth.
- Set over simmering water.
- Stir until thick (10 minutes).
- Cover and continue cooking 10 minutes.
- Spoon custard into two 1-cup molds.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.
- Invert custard onto plates.
- Top with fresh fruit.