Recipe by ellie_
This simple custard is great with sliced strawberries, bananas or other sliced fruit for a simple summer desert. The custard recipe was originally printed in Bon Appetit (May 1984) for 2 portions, but is very easy to double or adjust for number of portions you need. Refrigeration time is at least four hours.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Very good, very thick custard. This reminded me in a way of panacotta - it is very firm, yet tender. It has a very subtle flavor - I think next time I would scrape in some vanilla seeds as well to punch up the vanilla flavor. We enjoyed this with fresh sliced strawberries on top and a sprinkling of sugar.
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature,beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- fresh fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg in top of double boiler.
- Gradually whisk in milk, half and half, yolks and vanilla until smooth.
- Set over simmering water.
- Stir until thick (10 minutes).
- Cover and continue cooking 10 minutes.
- Spoon custard into two 1-cup molds.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.
- Invert custard onto plates.
- Top with fresh fruit.