Recipe by Lainey39
These are delicious German cookies. Recipe is from All Recipes. Plan ahead, dough must refrigerate for 2 hours (not included in prep time).
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and 1 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg, then stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Combine 3 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 2 hours, or until firm.
- To make the filling: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon flour.
- Mix in the raisins, walnuts and water.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease cookie sheets.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a round cutter, cut out 48 circles 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. Assemble the cookies by placing one onto the cookie sheet, place a teaspoon of filling in the center, then cover with another cookie.
- Press the edges together with a fork to seal.
- Repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
- CAUTION: Filling will be extremely hot.