Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Well these versatile cookies aren't really only for Christmas... we eat them all year round...! Great filled with date filling, jams, jellies, pie filling, nutella, mincemeat..what ever! These cookies are fun to make and the grandlings love them.=)
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- omit nutmeg and vanilla
- sub with 1 tsp. lemon extract
- and 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Cream first two ingredients.
- Add milk, eggs and mix.
- Add to well mixed dry ingredients.
- Add nutmeg and vanilla.
- Refrigerate one hour or more.
- Roll out 1/4 of the chilled dough.
- Cut out half the rounds using a biscuit cutter.
- Place whole rounds on a cookie sheet.
- Add two teaspoons of filling.
- Use a donut cutter to make rounds with a hole.
- Top cookie with these so filling can peek through.
- Crimp/seal edges with finger tips or fork.
- Bake 400 F for 8-10 minutes.
- Cookies shouuld be pale while bottoms are golden brown.
- Fillings I prefer: Mincemeat, date filling, jellies, jams, cherry pie filling.