Recipe by JusMeLinnie
It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to put this one together and devour! This one is a "Winner" and I don't mean maybe! This is a Food Network recipe from the Ultimate Recipe Showdown - Burgers . This recipe won 1st Place in the Burger division, and was chosen from contestants all across the country. By Michelle Christensen Show:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce (cocktail)
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 sweet gherkin pickle
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups sauerkraut
- 12 slices rye bread (approximately 1-inch thick)
- 6 slices swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set grill to med-low (on my grill this is around 300 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Russian Dressing:
- Mix together mayonnaise, ketchup, chili cocktail sauce, and horseradish.
- Finely chop the pickle and add to dressing.
- Stir in parsley. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Mix together both meats, the egg as a binder, the Worcestershire sauce, allspice, cloves and mustard along with desired amount of salt and pepper. (I prefer grinding my own allspice and cloves and it takes just a couple of each). It is important not to over work the meat and have it get tough.
- Divide the meat into 6 (1/3 pound) burgers about 1" thick, and press the centers in to prevent them from balling up on the grill.
- Place on the grill approximately 5 minutes per side depending on desired doneness.
- Begin warming the sauerkraut in a separate pan.
- The bread should go on the grill after turning the burgers, at a low temperature area so they will toast but not burn.
- Top the burger with cheese in the last 2 minutes of burger cooking time.
- Remove burgers and bread.
- Spread each slice of bread with Russian dressing, and top with 1/4 cup of sauerkraut.
- Cover with remaining bread.