Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I can't believe there's no recipe for Tinola on this site. it's a staple of Filipino cuisine, and it's basically a ginger chicken stewish soup. I've modified my mom's recipe to include only chicken breasts, as the original includes all sorts of chicken parts that I don't eat. As Filipino recipes are meant to be taste-tested at every step and tweaked to one's liking, these should only be general guidelines to help you perfect your own Tinola recipe.
- Saute garlic, onion and ginger in oil for 30 seconds over med heat.
- Add chicken and saute until chicken meat turns white. Add fish sauce.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is almost completely cooked (7-10 min.). At this point, there will be a fair amount of broth, since all the juices from the chicken are coming out.
- Add water (I usually add 3/4 cup and that gives me a pretty good, concentrated flavor. my mom adds a little more than a cup, and the flavor is much mellower and sometimes I add more fish sauce at the table. really, you should just experiment).
- Add chayote and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice.