1/1 Photo of Filipino Style Spaghetti
A much sweeter version of spaghetti. This is how I like to make mine. Sometimes I add sliced mushrooms and bell peppers, too. Note: In response to a question about the recipe; Filipino food does tend to be on the heavier side, but in an attempt to lighten this dish, you can omit the sugar, or use a sugar substitute, but the banana ketchup is necessary to sweeten the sauce. You can also use ground turkey instead of ground beef, for less fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- 26 ounces spaghetti sauce (I like Prego or Rinaldi brand)
- 12 ounces jufran banana ketchup (usually easy to find in the Asian grocery aisle)
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 6 hot dogs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced into cubes
- 1/8 cup sugar (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- grated cheese, of your choice (anything that melts nicely)
- olive oil, for cooking
- water, for cooking pasta
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Cook the noodles as per package direction. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- 2Slice the hot dogs on the bias (diagonally) and nuke them til cooked, about 1-2 minutes depending on your microwave.
- 3Heat some oil. Saute garlic and onions. Then add in the meat. Cook till brown. Season with some salt and pepper.
- 4Pour in the spaghetti sauce, banana ketchup, sugar, bay leaf and water.
- 5Mix and let it simmer for about 10 minutes until it gets thick and red.
- 6Add in the hot dogs last. Mix and just let the hot dogs heat through. Sauce is done!
- 7Top the noodles with the warm sauce. Sprinkle with quick melt cheese!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filipino Style Spaghetti
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1060.8
- Calories from Fat 390
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 112.8 mg
- Sodium 1808.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 48.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: