Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from Bruce Aidells's Complete Book of Pork.
- 907.18 g boneless pork butt, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 118.29 ml rice vinegar (to taste) or 118.29 ml white vinegar (to taste)
- 177.44 ml light soy sauce
- 0 asian fish sauce
- 473.18 ml homemade chicken stock or 473.18 ml canned low sodium chicken broth or 473.18 ml water
- 9.85 ml brown sugar (to taste)
- 9.85 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 73.94 ml chopped garlic
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4.92 ml asian hot chili oil, to taste
- Put the pork and all of the remaining ingredients in a casserole or large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until the pork is tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Skim and discard the fat from the surface. Taste the broth and add more vinegar, sugar, or chili oil to balance the flavors to your liking. Serve the adobo over jasmine rice.