- 2 lbs boneless pork butt, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar (to taste) or 1⁄2 cup white vinegar (to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 asian fish sauce
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock or 2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon asian hot chili oil, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the pork and all of the remaining ingredients in a casserole or large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until the pork is tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Skim and discard the fat from the surface. Taste the broth and add more vinegar, sugar, or chili oil to balance the flavors to your liking. Serve the adobo over jasmine rice.