Recipe by mjrhansen
This is a great fast and easy recipe. It is very similar to a chiffon cake but buttery and light. Can make a mocha version (see bottom of directions)
Top Review by jona0720
I followed the directions as written but mine came out heavy in the bottom, the top half was perfect, spongy but the bottom was very dense and somewhat sticky. I had one tray that came out ok (the ones I cooked on muffin cups) but it didn't have much flavor at all. Maybe I folded it too much. I doubled the recipe too hoping i'd surprise my kids with a lunch treat to take to school, what a waste of ingredients...but will try again with the mocha flavor. Thanks!
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 eggs, 4 seperated
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Move rack to middle of oven.
- Place muffin liners directly on a pan that is covered with parchment (so bottoms don't get too brown) no need to use muffin pan.
- Combine cake flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl with a whisk. Add 2 whole eggs, remaining 4 egg yolks, water, vanilla, oil and mix until blended well.
- In another bowl, whip 4 egg whites until frothy, add cream of tartar and whip until medium stiff peaks, want it stiff but not dry.
- Take a dollop (heaping dinner tablespoon) and fold into the flour mixture, until no streaks remain. Take the rest of the egg whites and fold into the batter until no streaks remain.
- Pour batter into cups 2/3 full (I use an ice cream scoop).
- Bake until tops are golden (if needed rotate pan halfway through cooking for even browning) 15-20 minute Or until cake springs back when touched. and toothpick comes out clean.
- *For mocha flavor dissolve 1 heaping tablespoon of instant coffee into water before adding to the dry ingredients.