Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Banana deep-fried in a coconut-based batter.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (or white sugar)
- 1 ounce fresh ginger, grated
- 2 ounces grated coconut (unsweetened)
- 8 bananas, sliced into coins 1/3-inch thick
- vegetable oil
- ice cream
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add eggs, then slowly add coconut milk while stirring with a wooden spoon. Continue stirring until batter is smooth.
- Add sugar, ginger, and coconut, and mix. Then let batter sit for 30 minutes.
- When batter is ready, heat enough vegetable oil to fry in a heavy pot or a deep fryer. Add the coins from one banana to the batter. Work the banana coins to ensure they are well battered, then add them one at a time to the hot oil. Cook for about 3 minutes (until crispy and golden). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Repeat previous two steps until all 8 bananas have been battered and fried.
- Serve with ice cream.