Recipe by Liza Ellis
The "original" Filipino flan.
Top Review by eladiana
My wife loved this! Once I Googled "bake in a water bath" I wasn't so scared anymore! Its really good. FYI water bath is a bigger pan with water inside, then place the flan pan inside to bake. Neat tip, I'd never heard of it before.
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together in one bowl the condensed milk, evaporated milk, and egg yolks. Gently mix together with a spatula until all egg yolks are broken and mixed with the milk. Do not beat or whip!
- Leave to the side.
- Take brown sugar and water and melt over low heat.
- Do not stir.
- When sugar mix is a syrupy consistency, pour into baking dish.
- No butter or oil necessary for baking dish.
- Pour batter in gently.
- Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes in water bath.
- When done let cool.
- Use knife to separate flan from sides, then turn upside down on serving plate.
- Serve chilled.