Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my Favorite Filipino dish. Everyone who tried it for the first time loves it.
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1 head garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (rice vinegar or white wine vinegar work best)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Put vinegar, bay leaves, pepper, soy sauce, onion and water in a saucepan. Cover and cook slowly about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the cooking oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan. Peel the garlic, break the cloves into chunks, and brown them over medium-low heat (about 5 minutes).
- Add the chicken to the frypan and brown it over medium-high heat (about 5 minutes).
- Add the broth to the frypan and simmer, partly covered, until the chicken is done (about 30 minutes). Do not let it come to a boil.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve over rice. This dish is too strongly flavored to go well with wine; try serving it with beer.