Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love to make this special entree for New Year's Eve, birthdays or Valentine's Day. Hope this simple yet very elegant recipe makes your occaision extra special, too!
- 1 (4 -5 lb) beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces crumbly blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- *Note that sauce is made ahead.
- For beef:.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Place the beef on a baking sheet and pat the outside dry with a papertowel.
- Spread the butter on with your hands. Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes for medium-rare.
- Remove the beef from the oven, cover it tightly with aluminum foil and allow it to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. Slice the filet thickly and serve with blue cheese sauce. Instructions follow.
- Blue cheese sauce:.
- Bring the cream to a full boil in a medium saucepan and continue to boil rapidly for 45-50 minutes, until it is the consistency of white sauce, stirring occaisionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the blue cheese, parmesan, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Whisk rapidly until cheeses melt.
- To reheat, warm the sauce over low heat until melted, then whisk vigorously until the sauce comes together. Sauce makes 3 cups.
This is absolutely, hands down, the best EVER. My partner requests this dish very often. I've tried many many recipies for this cut of meat. This one is superior because of its simplicity and exquisite taste. HOWEVER, Boiling heavy cream for that long without stirring frequently will scald your pot. I humbly suggest to lower the temp and simmer.
I loved this and so did my guests! I used what we call in NZ scotch fillet because my butcher convinced me that it has better flavour than eye fillet or beef tenderloin as mentioned in the recipe. The sauce was universally loved by my guests, and recipe was requested - always a good sign that it was enjoyed. Thank you!
Excellent choice for my DH's birthday dinner. He was very happy with my surprise dinner!