Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Source: "Cafe Annie"
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks
- 2 pasilla chiles
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 large white onion
- 3 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- olive oil or peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup grated Cotija cheese (can use dry feta)
- avocado relish (Avocado Relish)
- Toast the chiles in a dry saute pan over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Cool, stem, seed and break into pieces.
- Place onion, tomato and garlic in large saute pan.
- Put under broiler until well browned/blackened-about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly, scrape into blender or processor.
- Deglaze pan with stock and pour into blender.
- Add chiles, process until you get a coarse puree.
- Set aside.
- Salt and pepper steaks, sear in pan with a little oil until a nice crust forms.
- Remove steaks to plate.
- Pour any oil out of pan, pour in sauce and fry sauce stirring with wooden spoon.
- Once boiling, reduce to simmer, add sugar, S&P to taste and cook for 20 minutes.
- If sauce becomes too thick add a tbl or so of water.
- Can be made ahead to this point.
- Keeping the sauce at the barest simmer, add cilantro and steaks.
- Continuously spoon sauce over steaks and poach them to desired doneness.
- About 5 minutes to med rare.
- Pool sauce on plate, place steak on plate, spooning a little sauce over.
- Top steak with avocado relish and sprinkle plate with grated cheese.