1 hr 20 mins
Adpted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs filet of beef, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 lb bacon, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine, Burgundy
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 lb pearl onions, peeled
- 8 carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lb mushroom, sliced 1/4-inch thick (domestic or wild)
- 1With a sharp knife, cut the filet crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices. Salt and pepper the filets on both sides. In a large, heavy-bottomed pan on medium-high heat, sauté the slices of beef in batches with 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until browned on the outside and very rare inside, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove the filets from the pan and set aside on a platter.
- 2In the same pan, sauté the bacon on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon and set it aside. Drain all the fat, except 2 tablespoons, from the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- 3Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook on high heat for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the beef stock, tomato paste, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Strain the sauce and return it to the pan. Add the onions and carrots and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and the vegetables are cooked.
- 4With a fork mash 2 tablespoons butter and the flour into a paste and whisk it gently into the sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken.
- 5Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms separately in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil for about 10 minutes, until browned and tender.
- 6Add the filet of beef slices, the mushrooms, and the bacon to the pan with the vegetables and sauce. Cover and reheat gently for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not overcook. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filet of Beef Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1003.2
- Calories from Fat 699
- Total Fat 77.7 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 187.3 mg
- Sodium 974.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 46.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet of beef