1 hr 20 mins
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet prepared it, but will add input when I have a chance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 (6 ounce) filet mignon
- salt and pepper, for each filet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Rustic Red Chile Sauce
- 2 ancho chilies (approx. 1 oz.)
- 6 large allspice berries
- 12 cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 white corn tortilla, cut into eights
- 3 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, hulled
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 1Searing the Filets of Beef: Lightly season the filets with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat the oil in a deep sauté pan (approx. 10" to 12" wide by 3" deep) until very hot.
- 3Sear the filets quickly on each side leaving the filets very rare.
- 4Do not over crowd the skillet.
- 5Transfer the seared filets to a plate and reserve.
- 6With a paper towel, wipe the sauté pan clean of any excess oil and use the skillet for the next step.
- 7Toasting the Ancho Chiles: Heat the skillet over medium heat.
- 8Add the Ancho chiles and lightly toast, turning frequently.
- 9The chiles are done when they become aromatic and have puffed slightly.
- 10Caution- do not allow to burn.
- 11Remove the chile and allow to cool.
- 12Remove and discard the stems and seeds.
- 13Tear the chiles into small pieces and reserve.
- 14Toasting the Allspice Berries, Cumin and Oregano: In the same sauté pan as used above, add the allspice berries and cumin seeds and lightly toast.
- 15Then add the oregano and quickly toast.
- 16Sauté the Raisins: Add the butter to the sauté pan with the spices and heat until sizzling.
- 17Add the raisins and stir to lightly sauté.
- 18Remove and reserve approximately 2 tablespoons of raisins for garnish.
- 19Add the Onions, Garlic and Tortillas: Add the chopped onions, garlic cloves and tortilla pieces to the skillet and sauté until nicely browned and aromatic.
- 20Stir frequently.
- 21Add the Chicken Stock: Carefully add the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil.
- 22Add the Tarragon leaves and salt and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- 23Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes or more before pureeing.
- 24Toast the Pumpkin Seeds and Pecan Pieces: In a second skillet over medium heat, add the pumpkin seeds and toast while stirring until the seeds puff and pop.
- 25Remove the pumpkin seeds and reserve.
- 26Similarly, toast the pecan pieces until light toasted.
- 27Remove and reserve.
- 28Pureeing the Sauce: When the simmered ingredients have cooled sufficiently to safely puree, transfer the ingredients and the liquid to a blender.
- 29Add the pumpkin seeds and pecans (but reserve approximately 1 tablespoons of each for garnish).
- 30Puree the sauce until smooth.
- 31Finishing the Sauce and the Filets of Beef: Transfer the puree back to the same deep sauté pan.
- 32Bring the sauce to a simmer.
- 33Add the chocolate and stir until well mixed.
- 34If the sauce appears a little thick, add a little water to thin.
- 35Return the filets to the sauce.
- 36Spoon some sauce over each filet.
- 37Slowly cook the filets in the barely simmering sauce for approximately 5 minutes or until desired doneness.
- 38Turn the filets over approximately half way through the cooking.
- 39To Serve: Place a filet in the center of each dinner plate.
- 40Spoon some of the chile sauce over each filet.
- 41Distribute some of the reserved raisins, pumpkin seeds and pecans around each filet.
- 42Place 2 avocado slices on top of each filet and garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filet Mignons in Rustic Red Chile Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 760.0
- Calories from Fat 514
- Total Fat 57.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 132.8 mg
- Sodium 683.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 38.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: