Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 9 mins
I've been picturing this meal and craving it for days now... finally dug up the recipe copy. And have all the ingredients! This may be dinner tonight... Filet Mignon with Mushrooms
- 2 filet mignon steaks (4 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- In medium iron skillet, melt half the butter in half the oil until hot. Add mushrooms and saute quickly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon.
- Add remaining butter and oil over high heat. Pat filets dry.
- Brown filets well, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Cook to desired doneness.
- Remove from skillet to a platter and keep warm.
- Pour nearly all fat from skillet and add beef broth.
- Boil over high heat, scraping the pan.
- Cook until reduced to 2 Tbs.
- Add wine, thyme, salt & pepper.
- Add mushrooms and heat through.
- Serve mushroom sauce on top of steak.
- Fried Sweet Potato Shoestrings Run 2-3 large sweet potatoes through a food processor with the blade set to julienne. Rinse well to remove the extra starch.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Fry the sweet potatoes in very hot vegetable oil just a few seconds until golden.
- Drain on brown paper.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
This is a great idea for dinner. Sure to impress anyone!