Recipe by evelyn/athens
A wonderful holiday recipe. Filet Mignon makes any meal special. The meat has to marinate overnight for maximum flavour.
Top Review by chia
great ingredients, great steaks i had custom cut in the italian market, great dinner. i made 4 for 4 of us, and cooked them all in a 12" skillet after marinating in a plastic gallon size bag overnight.
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 6 (6 ounce) filet mignon
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups canned low sodium beef broth
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Divide steaks between 2 glass baking dishes.
- Pour marinade over.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove steaks from marinade and pat dry.
- Transfer marinade to a large saucepan.
- Boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 20 minutes.
- Add stock and boil until reduced to 1 ¼ cups, about 20-25 minutes longer.
- Set aside.
- (can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring steaks to room temperature before continuing) Divide oil between 2 large heavy skillets and place over high heat.
- Season steaks.
- Add 3 steaks to each skillet and brown on both sides.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer steaks to warm plates.
- Tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add half of sauce to each skillet and bring to boil, scraping up any brown bits.
- Transfer contents of 1 skillet into the other and bring to slow simmer.
- Add butter, whisking in one piece until melted before adding the next.
- Spoon over steaks and serve.