Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1-inch thick (about 1-1/4 lbs. total)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine or 2 tablespoons port wine
- Trim fat from steaks. Rub both sides of steaks with oil and pepper.
- For charcoal grill, grill steaks on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals to desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling. Allow 8 to 12 minutes for medium-rate (145 degrees F) and 12 to 15 minutes for medium (160 degrees F).
- For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steaks on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large skillet cook and stir mushrooms and onions in hot butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in broth and Madeira. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat.
- Thinly slice steaks diagonally and serve with sauce.