Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Originally I found his beautiful picture in a really old "Best of Cooking Light" magazine and made it according to the recipe one year as a holiday dinner for just my husband and I. I made it a few more times, evolving it, and it is pretty yummy....particularly good served with a creamy sour cream & chive mashed potato side dish.
- Spread each side of the steaks with a thin layer of the mustard -- using about half of the mustard in the recipe. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to coat well.
- Heat oil and butter in a 9-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks. Cook about 5- minutes on each side or until at your desired doneness.
- Remove steaks from the pan and allow to rest.
- Reduce heat to medium and add shallots to the pan. Saute for about 1 minute. Add cognac and cook for about 30 seconds. Add broth, cream, and remaining mustard. Reduce heat and whisk continuously. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to your taste but remember that the steaks are heavily seasoned.
- Serve steaks with the sauce.