Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Bon Appétit Flavors of the World May 2001
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot (about 3)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 20 ounces filet mignon steaks (each about 3/4 inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup shallots and half of garlic and sauté until shallots are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to medium bowl.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper.
- Add to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to plate.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup shallots and garlic to same skillet; Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add Madeira and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and boil until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 6 minutes.
- Add cream and boil until sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in mushroom mixture.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return steaks to skillet and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to plates.
- Spoon sauce over and serve.