Prep 1 hr
Cook 22 mins
From Weber’s Big Book of Grilling
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 (8 ounce) filet mignon (about 1/2 lb each and 1 1/4 inches thick)
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushroom
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, divided
- 1 small leek, trimmed, washed, and finely chopped (white part only)
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- To make the rub: combine the rub ingredients together; reserve ½ teaspoon rub for the sauce.
- Sprinkle remaining rub on both sides of the filets; pressing it into the meat.
- Place the filets on a platter; cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Make the sauce: remove and finely chop the mushrooms stems; set the caps aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter; add in chopped mushroom stems leek, carrot, garlic, and reserved ½ teaspoon of the rub; cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add in the wine and cook over high heat until the liquid is reduced to a thin syrup (3-4 minutes).
- Add in the broth and simmer until about ½ cup of liquid remains; set a strainer over a bowl and strain the sauce, pressing down on the solids to extract the juices; discard the solids.
- Transfer the sauce to a clean saucepan; add in the parsley and keep warm over low heat.
- Generously brush or spray the mushroom caps with the olive oil.
- Grill over direct high heat 5-7 minutes or until tender, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Remove from the grill and roughly chop; then add to the warm sauce.
- Let the filets stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Lightly brush or spray both sides with the oil and sear over direct high heat for 10 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Continue grilling over indirect medium heat 3-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 135° for medium-rare.
- Just before serving, remove the sauce from the heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, swirling the pan until melted; spoon the sauce over the filets; serve immediately.