Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Filet Mignon is one of my favorite foods! This is just heavenly!
Make and share this Filet Mignon With Cognac Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4 (4 -6 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 1 lb total)
- 3 tablespoons cognac or 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Trim fat from steaks. Place steaks in shallow dish. Pour 2 tablespoons of the cognac over steaks. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 15 minutes, turning once. Drain steaks, discarding cognac in dish. Sprinkle steaks with pepper.
- Place steaks on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 11-15 minutes for medium-rare or 14-18 minutes for medium, turning once.
- Meanwhile, for sauce: In small saucepan, cook mushrooms and shallot in hot butter for 3 - 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in beef broth and remaining cognac. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 5 minutes. In small bowl, stir together half-and-half, mustard, and flour. Stir into broth mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve sauce over steaks.
Excellent recipe. My husband and I found ourselves some alone time and a couple of beautiful filets. I used a pound of mushrooms, and substituted 3/4 cup of green onion in lieu of the shallots, a cup of beef broth and increased the flour to 2Tbs. to accomodate the increased liquid. I found the mustard to be a bit to much and will reduce to one TBS next time. This is definetely going to be used again and again.
Excellent recipe. I did half a recipe and served it with Uncle Bill's Deep Fried Zucchini Strips as an appetizer and Crab Meat Stuffed Shrimp to make surf and turf. Great way to celebrate our anniversary.
First class sauce. Used regular brandy because that is what I had. Delicious anyway. Thanks, Jovigirl.