Recipe by MeliBug
I made this dinner for my boyfriend and I. He is a huge steak guy and loves filet mignon. He devoured it and got mad when I gave a piece to the dog and ate whatever I had left. So if you love a good steak, try this recipe! :)
Top Review by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
WOW! This was superb and simple! The wine reduction will go from normal to thick in seconds even though it may take a few minutes to get there, once it starts to thicken it will do so FAST so watch it carefully! My filet mignon was bacon wrapped which added a slight smokiness to the dish. DH was so happy that I made this! Thanks for a great recipe! Made for Holiday Beverage Tag!
- 20 ounces tenderloins filet mignon
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut fat off filet mignon steaks. Place steaks in large bowl/pan/plate/platter.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar on each steak. Flip steaks over and drizzle the other tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and sugar on both side of steaks. Let the steaks sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Pour red wine into sauce pan over high heat. I suggested 2 cups but make enough sauce to satisfy your taste or number of steaks. Wait until wine becomes thick and syrupy. Turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Also preheat a heavy pan over medium heat on stove.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over steaks.
- Sear steaks 1 or 2 minutes on each side on pan. Pour red wine reduction over steaks while cooking. I used a spoon to do this in moderation and avoid getting too much red wine in there.
- Place pan with steaks into the oven. Let them cook for 8-10 minutes. This will make your steak brown on the outside and pink on the inside (depending on the thickness of the steak and power of the oven). Try cutting a steak with your knife to check the inside.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let steaks sit in the pan for 5 minutes to let them soak the juices inches.
- Serve steaks on plate. Take a spoon and drizzle the juice from the pan over your steaks. Make sure to get a lot of juice on there! Enjoy!
- PS - I served these with cheddar and bacon mashed potatoes. Also try potatoes au gratin or steak fries!