1 hr 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups good-quality merlot
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 cups veal stock
- 1To prepare the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan.
- 2Add the garlic, onion, carrot, and celery, and sauté over medium heat for about 7 or 8 minutes, until the onion is lightly browned.
- 3Stir in the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 4Deglaze the pan with the wine and then stir in the bay leaves, thyme, and peppercorns.
- 5Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce by half.
- 6Add the stock and return to a boil.
- 7Lower the heat to a simmer and cook the sauce, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, until reduced to about 2 cups of liquid.
- 8Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean saucepan and keep warm.
- 9Season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper.
- 10Heat the oil in a sauté pan, add the steaks to the hot pan, and sear over medium-high heat for about 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare or about 7 minutes per side for medium.
- 11Remove the steaks from the pan and keep warm.
- 12Add the shallots and mushrooms to the same pan and sauté over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until lightly brown.
- 13Add the Merlot sauce and bring to a simmer.
- 14Reduce the liquid by half and stir in the butter until thoroughly incorporated.
- 15Add the parsley just before serving.
- 16Place the steaks in the center of warm serving plates or shallow serving bowls and spoon the mushrooms and sauce over and around the filets.
- 17Serve immediately.
- 18Serve with Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filet Mignon Steaks With Merlot Sauce and Wild Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.5
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 102.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet mignon steaks