Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quite delicious entree from Patrick O'Connell of the Inn at Little Washington. The sauce can be made in advance and held in a thermos; the vegetables can be seared in advance and placed on serving plates and warmed in the oven, leaving just the filets to sear at dinner time.
For the sauce
- 1 1⁄8 cups red wine (cabernet or pinot noir)
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, peeled and halved
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the Filets and Vegetables
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut diagonally into 3/4-inch slices
- 4 (5 -6 ounce) filet mignon
- For the sauce:.
- In a small, heavy bottomed pan, combine wine vinegar and the shallot.
- Place over medium heat, bring to a boil and reduce to a syrupy consistency.
- Remove from heat, discard the shallot and whisk in the butter, one piece at a time.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm till ready to serve.
- For the Beef and vegetables:.
- Place a heavy cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot.
- Add only enough olive oil to leave a film on the surface of the skillet.
- Place onion slices in one layer and cook until lightly charred on the bottom -- do not blacken.
- Turn with tongs or a spatula and char on the other side -- the onions should be soft.
- Transfer to paper towels.
- Season zucchini slices with salt and pepper.
- Return skillet to high heat and when very hot, film the surface with olive oil and place the zucchini in the skillet in one layer.
- Sear for 2 to 3 minutes or until the bottoms of the slices blister.
- Turn and cook for one minute more, until lightly golden.
- Remove from heat and transfer to paper towels.
- Brush filets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Return skillet to high heat.
- When skillet is very hot, sear filets for two minutes on each side for rare (or longer, if you prefer).
- To serve:.
- Arrange three zucchini ovals on each of four warmed plates so that the ovals meet in the center of the plate.
- Arrange three or four onion rings over the zucchini on each plate.
- Place a filet on top of the onion on each plate and pool sauce on each plate.
- Top the filets with more onion and serve immediately.