Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've had this recipe for at least 20 years and finally tried it last year.......yyyyuuuummmmmmyyyy! It is definitely a 5 star recipe. The filets are cooked on the stove and finished in the oven, you won't believe how wonderful they are!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 filet mignon steaks, 1 inch thick
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green onions, bias sliced in one inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup brandy
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- DO NOT SUBSTITUTE INGREDIENTS!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season both sides of the steaks with the salt and pepper as desired. Add the steaks to the hot skillet and sear two minuntes on each side until lightly browned. Transfer to an oven proof baking dish and bake uncovered in a 400* preheated oven 10-13 minutes for medium-medium rare doneness.
- Cook mushrooms and green onions in the same skillet over medium heat until just tender. Remove from heat and add the brandy, return to heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Add the whipping cream and bring just to boiling. Boil gently about 8 minutes or until reduced to about 1 cup. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired, finish sauce by adding butter and stir till blended.
- To serve, place steaks on a warm platter and spoon the sauce over the meat.
this is soooooooo close to a local restaurant's recipe and now my hub and I have it once a week as our "treat". Unfortunately the restaurant is closed and the only thing different I do is add fresh diced garlic to the mushrooms.and light the brandy to cook it off..a 10 star recipe for sure!!!!