Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an impressive variation of beef Wellington. Great for a romantic dinner or dinner party. Prep and cook times approximate.
- 4 (6 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 1/4 inch thick, trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 lb fresh mushrooms, minced
- 2 ounces cooked ham, ground
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
For the sauce
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 1 teaspoon bovril beef extract
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Oil a large heavy skillet and in it sear the fillets over high heat for 1 minute per side.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In the same skillet saute the mushrooms, ham and shallots, in 2 tablespoons of butter for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mustard and sherry.
- Cook and stir a few more minutes to form a moist paste; set aside.
- Brush 1 sheet of phyllo dough with butter and place another sheet on top.
- Repeat this three more times, ending up with 4 stacks.
- On each stack of phyllo, place 2 tablespoons of mushroom mixture in the center and top with 1 fillet.
- Wrap the phyllo around the fillets and place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter and bake at 450°F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meat will be medium rare.
- For the sauce, blend pan juices from meat with broth, Madeira and Bovril.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, add lemon juice and let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove skillet from heat and swirl in butter.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce over each fillet and serve.
- Pour remaining sauce in a sauce boat.
Should be more stars!!! The meat is done perfectly when the filo is browned!! It's absolutely the best recipe!! DH was also musing about how you could use chicken, pork, fish,... Thank you keen5 for another special keeper!!!
Superb! This recipe is easy to follow with delicious results. I prepared it for a special Valentine meal and it certainly did the trick. Cheers keen5.
Keen - you have no idea how happy you've made me!! I wish I could give this recipe 20 big, loud stars so everyone could know to try it. I'm not a super chef in the kitchen - acutally still in the learning stages of most things - and one day decided to give this a whirl. Wow, was I happy with it! My boyfriend raved about it, too. The recipe was very easy to follow. I could not find the beef extract anywhere, so I had to leave it out, but the sauce was still very good. The wine was excellent in there! I will add this to my favorites for sure. It's a very tasty meal that's easy (and quick!) to make - one that will impress everyone at the table!! Thank you so much!! Dee