Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, Minced
- 2 lbs fish scraps (Heads and bones of red snapper, turbot, sole or halibut.)
- 1 lobster head
- 1 bouquet garni (Bouquet garni - a leek tied with parsley, whole cloves, thyme, a bay leaf and whole peppercorns.)
- 2⁄3 lb fresh seaweed
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- white pepper, Ground
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk (optional)
- 4 red snapper fillets (3/4 in.)
- Heat oil in heavy pot, add carrots, onions and mushrooms and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add fish scraps, lobster head, bouquet garni, seaweed and water and simmer very slowly for 2 hours skimming off any scum that forms on the surface.
- Strain fish stock through a fine sieve or a strainer lined with a tea towel.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If desired, blend cornstarch and milk together and stir into stock.
- Cook gently until the sauce is thickened.
- Blend smooth in blender or food processor.
- When ready to cook fish, preheat broiler to hot and have rack 4 inched from heat.
- Oil grill and broil fish for about 4 minutes, then turn and continue broiling for 8 - 10 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve with hot sauce.
- You may bake fillets in a heavy pan instead.
- Spread with some seaweed, arrange fish on top, pour 1 cup of sauce over seaweed, cover and bake at 450 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Or, you can steam the fish.
- Arrange as in baking, steam for about 8 minutes.