Recipe by Wildflour
(Filet Mignon in Puff Pastry) I prefer not to eat out on Valentine's Day, hate fighting the crowds, the noise, the usually bad service because the restaurant is jam packed, the expense...could I have a little cheese with my "whine"? LOL! Here's what I made for the main course last year, and it was to DIE for. Almost too pretty to eat....almost! Enjoy!!! *Prep-time does not include chilling time.
Top Review by TexasBlonde
update on my previous review - I had a couple of these left over (can you believe it?) from my party, since they were large some people shared. So I put them in Ziploc's in the freezer. Today I popped one out and after about 35 min at 350, 95% as good as the first time! Long story short, these freeze surprisingly well.
- 2 nice-sized thick filet mignon steaks, 2 inches thick at least
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic (optional if you don't like garlic) (optional)
- 2 slices muenster cheese or 2 slices swiss cheese or 2 slices monterey jack cheese, thick
- 1 sheet puff pastry, rolled out just a little bit
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Creamy horseradish sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon horseradish, to your preference, and not the the cream style, the real deal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim any fat from the steaks, sprinkle with pepper, spread tops of each with 1 Tbl butter.
- In shallow roasting pan, bake in pre-heated oven, buttered side up, at 425º for 10 minutes.
- Place in fridge til cold.
- Roll out puff pastry a little and cut in half.
- Spread steaks with garlic, top with cheese.
- Place cheese side down onto center of pastry squares, fold pastry over, moisten edges and seal well.
- Place seam-side down onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Prick top with a fork, cover with plastic wrap, and re-chill for 1 hour.
- Beat egg with oil, and brush pastry with it.
- Bake in center of pre-heated 425º oven for 25 minutes for med-rare.
- Serve with horseradish sauce if desired.
- Serves 2.