Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Gleaned from Ladies Home Journal many years ago, these are two-bite conceits--crunchy but still delicate and sweet and were my husband's favorite cookie.
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 lb filberts, lightly toasted and finely ground
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- Beat egg whites and salt until very soft peaks form.
- Gradually add brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until sugar is dissolved, about 10-15 minutes.
- Fold in ground filberts.
- Flavor with vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonsfull onto about 2/3 cup granulated sugar in small dish.
- Transfer carefully to lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake in slow oven, 325 degrees F. for 8 minutes.