Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is supposed to be a breakfast recipe but we always use it as a side at dinner time. It has heaps of flavour and is an excellent "store-cupboard" recipe. Unfortunately my husband is a pertinacious pea hater so I always sub with another veggie - whatever is on hand, usually green beans, snow peas (they're different apparently), carrots or capsicum or a combination - this recipe is as versatile as you make it! From "Savour The Pacific".
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 4 medium-large potatoes, peeled, diced and cooked
- 1 cup peas, thawed if using frozen
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large, heavy frypan and gently fry onion, spices, garlic and ginger over a low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in potatoes and peas.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the spiced vegetables to the eggs and combine evenly.
- Season well.
- Lightly re-oil the pan. Pour mixture back into the pan and cook over a very low heat for 8-10 minutes, taking care the omelette doesn't burn.
- As it cooks, heat grill. To finish off, place omelette under grill until it puffs up and turns golden.
- Stand for 5 minutes before turning out.
- Allow to cool then cut into wedges.