Recipe by Outta Here
Honey Cake is one of the highly popular desserts of Fiji. The cake becomes moister and its flavors deepen a day or two after it is made.
Top Review by breezermom
I used locally grown honey, which is probably darker than what you buy in the grocery store. Loved the spices! This was more like a bread than a cake. Not sweet, and not as spicy as gingerbread. I'll enjoy this for breakfast this week. Thanks!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice (or ground cloves)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9" x 5" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the almonds and beat until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.