Indian curry chicken Fiji style. There are so many different styles of curry, this is just another one from the lovely island of Fiji. Our curies are a little different. Please share what you think of it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 lbs chicken
- 2 onions
- 10 garlic cloves (lesun)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (adrak)
- 2 serrano peppers
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (sarso)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 4 -5 cardamom (elaichi)
- 2 -3 cloves (lavang)
- 5 -6 curry leaves (tej pati)
- 3 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon turmeric (haldi)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander (dhania)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (400 ml) can chicken stock (optional)
- 1Chop chicken into bit size stewing pieces.
- 2Finely chop 1 onion and slice the other onion and set aside.
- 3Combine garlic, serrano chillies, ginger in mortar and pestle and pound until it becomes a paste. Add 1 teaspoon salt to help make paste and so garlic doesn't fly away on you. You can also use a blender, but i find the mortar and pestle makes it more pasty without wasting any flavour from garlic.
- 4Add garam masala, turmeric and some water to the garlic paste and mix to make a curry paste and set aside.Should be a runny consistency.
- 5Heat canola oil in stewing pot.
- 6Add cinnamon stick, mustard seed, cloves, cardamon seeds with shells removed and cummin to pot. Stir until seeds pop.
- 7Add curry leaves. Watch out for oil splatter.
- 8Add finely chopped onions and cook until well browned but do not burn. (The more brown, the more flavor).
- 9Add curry paste and stir for a few minutes until garlic is well browned. Should be a nice yellowish color.
- 10Add chicken and half of sliced onion and a punch of salt. If you are adding chicken stock later on, add less salt.
- 11Stir and let cook until water comes out of chicken.
- 12Cook until water evaporates and fry the chicken until slightly browned approximately 20 minutes for fryer chicken, longer for stewing or freerange.
- 13Stir in remaining sliced onion.
- 14If adding chicken stock add it now and bring to boil. This is great for when you have a cold. This is Indo-fijian chicken soup for the soul.
- 15If you are health conscious, at this point i usually remove the excess fat that floats on top of the curry. Up to you if you want to leave it in, more flavor.
- 16Add chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- 17Serve over rice. Enjoy! ;-).
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fiji-Indian Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 723.4
- Calories from Fat 454
- Total Fat 50.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 226.8 mg
- Sodium 2541.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 57.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: